Wednesday, April 25, 2007

chasing away the funk and enjoying a good dinner

Well, Olivia is still not entirely well. The green goop inhabiting her head, just will not exit the building. I feel badly for her, however, my patience is wearing SO thin. Add in, another $30 co pay for an antibiotic for eyedrops, and I think we have officially exceeded the $150 mark on drugs and doctors' visits for the 4 of us. And me, I am still hacking so I probably should be seen. Sigh. All this is making the strep diagnosis look like a party! We must be well for next week, the dance recital marathon week, so whatever it takes, whatever it costs, is not too much.

I had all the ingredients for Beef Enchiladas so I did manage to make those yesterday. This is a great recipe, very simple and mild. We are not crazy, spice eaters here. I am sure these could easily be kicked up though. And no photo. I had no time or energy to try on this one, and truthfully, my food photos are leaving a little....a lot...to be desired. I am trying to encourage you to cook, not avoid it! I got this recipe years ago from my sister-in-law Lisa.

Enticing Enchiladas

1 lb. ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped
1 c. cream style cottage cheese (small curd)
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles (optional, I omit this)
10 6 inch flour tortillas
2 c. shredded Mexican Cheese blend

COOK ground chuck and onion in a large skillet over high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and meat is no longer pink; drain. Return to skillet, stir in cottage cheese.

PROCESS diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in a food processor until smooth. Stir in chopped chiles if desired.

SPOON 2 to 3 tbs. ground beef mixture down the center of each tortilla; top each w/ 2 tbs. tomato mixture and 1.5 tbs. cheese. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over top, top with remaining cheese.

BAKE enchiladas at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Pin It

No comments: