Wednesday, September 7, 2011

using a 35mm lens on a digi slr camera


This is NOT news, but just getting by day to day is expensive. I am a mom who loves to take pictures and this year, more than ever, I found myself wanting a zoom lens that would help me capture my girls better doing their thing {s}...soccer and cheer leading.
I poked around online to price a Canon DSLR lens and on the low end, I was looking at around $150 but for a better lens, $300-400+.
This is not in the budget. But, back in the day when I used a Canon 35mm camera, I had a Sigma 70-300mm lens. I guess when I started out as a photographer I had deemed this one necessary. {funny b/c my all time true love is at the other end of the spectrum, the 50mm lens}.

Years ago I tried this on my digi camera and without getting at all techy, it simply just magnifies the zoom. Back then, my kids were smaller and moving more and in unpredictable directions, so it was not a good fit. FF to this weekend and I took a few test shots at home and then gave it a whirl at the football game. The result? I am extremely happy with the pictures! It is not a perfect solution but a great work around for a mom, and amateur photographer. The only real downside is to focus the lens, I had to be pretty far away from my subjects, well beyond 5 feet.

What do you think?



Pin It

No comments: