Sunday, November 30, 2008

comfort foods


My nose is nearly running off of my face yet still, I cook. There is plenty left to put away from our trip, laundry yet undone, a house not particularly clean and the looming holiday decorating and shopping yet I choose...to cook.


I borrowed this photo but since the recipe that followed mirrored mine exactly, I feel it is OK to show you! I use a recipe from the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust box and it is the best:

Classic Pot Pie

Filling:
1-15 oz. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
1/3 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 ½ c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 ½ cups cooked chopped chicken or chicken breasts (you can buy this pre-cooked in the refrigerated case)
1- 10 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (one with corn, beans, and peas etc.)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for a two-crust pie using a 9 inch pie pan.
In medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended well. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened.
Add chicken and mixed vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into pie crust. Top with second crust and flute; cut slits in several places.
Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I place the pie pan on a baking sheet covered with foil b/c this inevitable cooks over making a big mess!

***My super Mom and sister visited yesterday and brought me Thanksgiving leftovers so I used turkey breast instead of chicken tonight. Yum.

I had also thawed out some ground beef so I made super quick vegetable soup:

30 minute vegetable soup

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. garlic
1 jar 20-30 oz. chunky garden style pasta sauce (I used Ragu, about ¾ of a jar)
water to taste (start with 1 soup can) (I actually omitted this, I like thick soup)
2 cans beef broth
1 can 10 oz chopped tomatoes and chilies
1 bag 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed if you have time

Sauté meat, onion and garlic together in stockpot. Drain any fat. Next, add everything else. Remember to add only part of the pasta sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Toss in fresh spinach if you’d like (I did not) until wilted, about 1 minute. Serve with grated cheddar or parmesan for garnish.

I was so sick of eating out, and particularly eating fried food, that some home cooking should be exactly what I need to get me on track for life in the real world. And for snow :)

Pin It

No comments: