Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am feeling a strong desire to...



Quilt. Yes, quilt. And what I like does not look like something easy to pull off. This particular group on Flickr strikes my fancy: Fresh Modern Quilts. I was going to make a mosaic showing a bunch of my favs, but I could not figure it out so please, click and go look. I have narrowed it down to some things that are really speaking to me and one is the mostly white background with the bright shots of color. Also, I love the really modern quilt back approaches, like just one off center strip of color in the center of a sea of white. I also like the free style ideas with houses, and trees and owls. I think I am mentally preparing to try the lap quilt in the Bend The Rules Sewing book, which is really what shot me out of a cannon this summer into the world of sewing.
There is a flickr group for this too, where people submit their projects. Love that inspiration. And today I found a new group for Anna Maria Horner's new book, Seams to Me, as well. I have yet to see this book, although I ordered a copy to be sent to my library, I can already tell from the Flickr viewing I will need to purchase it so I can have it for keeps. Here is one just simply, striking piece of handiwork:

by the author herself. Wow.


Ok, so back to me and the thinking about attempting to quilt (that is the stage I am at right now.) I have gone so far as to call a sewing store and I plan to take my old, simple machine in to find how to "lower the feed dogs" and perhaps buy a few different "feet". I do want a zipper foot which has nothing to do with quilting, just another little item on my wish list of things I really want, practically need, yet did not know existed a year ago. The man who answered the phone, and my questions, was trying to be kind when I identified my sewing machine and did not come right out and say I need a serious upgrade, but he hinted at it. No budget for that presently but who knows about someday.


I leave with you with a sample of the lap quilt I dream about, I mean think about making:


I took the huge liberty of sharing this from feebeefee's flickr photo stream. There are many others where this one came from to inspire you.

Quilts. Quilting. Sewing. Who am I?!

Pin It

No comments: