Thursday, January 3, 2008

chicken pot pie

As a kid, I would never have eaten this. As an adult, I am pretty particular about them. A few years ago I found this recipe inside the box of Pillsbury Pie Crusts, the refrigerated kind, of all places, and it is the best ever, in my opinion. It may look a little involved but it goes quickly. Try it.

Classic Pot Pie

Filling:
1-15 oz. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
1/3 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 ½ c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 ½ cups cooked chopped chicken or chicken breasts (you can buy this pre-cooked in the refrigerated case)
1- 10 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (one with corn, beans, and peas etc.)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for a two-crust pie using a 9 inch pie pan.
In medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended well. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened.
Add chicken and mixed vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into pie crust. Top with second crust and flute; cut slits in several places.
Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I place the pie pan on a baking sheet covered with foil b/c this inevitably cooks over making a big mess!



Next I will share two recipes that have become a tradition at my house on Christmas morning when I host my family here . They are so crazy, they get up at o' dark thirty, to see my kids finish opening their Santa presents, and to join in the festivities right from the get go. I love that. So I reward them with good food :) I meant to share these a week or more ago, but things got in the way like snow and entertaining two kids for 14 consecutive days. Pin It

No comments: