Friday, January 4, 2008

recipes...as promised

The first is the Breakfast Casserole. Just like most of my recipes, it ain't good for you but it tastes good! I have seen this, or a variation of it, dozens of times but this one is good, easy and foolproof:

Breakfast Casserole

6 slices of bread, crusts removed
1 lb. pork sausage (I use mild)
1 8oz. pkg shredded cheddar cheese
5 eggs beaten
1 pt. half n half
1 tsp. mustard

Line 9x13 inch buttered casserole dish with bread (I use the disposable aluminum). Brown sausage, drain. Sprinkle sausage over bread. Sprinkle cheese over sausage. Combine eggs, half n half and mustard; pour over casserole. Refrigerate overnight. Bake covered at 350 for 30-40 minutes, check eggs for doneness. Bake uncovered for 5 additional minutes.

This recipe came from my mother in law so I am just sure where the name came from, or even why it is called this. What I do know? It is tasty! This became an instant favorite of my sister, Kelly.

Jewish Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (not golden)
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 8oz. Container sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
½ cup oil
Mix together at high speed for 7 minutes

Topping:
1 ½ tsp butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup chopped pecans or other nut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Bake in large greased tube pan
Place half of batter in pan, top w/ ½ topping mixture
Top w/ remaining batter, sprinkle with remaining sugar
Bake according to cake mix directions for Bundt pan, or slightly longer. Test with toothpick.

* I think the original recipe called for a tube pan. I made it last week (dang, Christmas was actually more than a week ago!) in a bundt pan, with good results. And I guess I did not read the directions very well, b/c I filled the pan and used all the topping on top. It worked fine. Better than fine b/c it was the first time in the recent past it came out of the pan without much incident. Tip: use lots of oil to coat the pan!

So, get cooking...and baking. Have brunch for your friends and/or family. Throw in some orange juice and a fruit salad so you don't wreck every new year's resolution in one sitting.

Pin It

No comments: