Thursday, December 18, 2008

soup's on!

Last year I totally got into making homemade soups and I am back at it again! Right now, this is on the stovetop:

Chicken Minestrone with Pesto from Woman's Day (and I borrowed the picture from there too). I decided to make it on the stovetop because 1) I am afraid of chicken thighs and 2) I was too afraid to put raw meat in the crockpot. Unfounded fears probably, but just two I live with! Anyway, I browned ground chicken in a skillet instead and then added all the ingredients as called for. I cannot wait to try it topped off with pesto, b/c I LOVE pesto. I already sampled a bit, and the flavor is wonderful.

ETA: The pesto makes such a huge wonderful difference. Make sure you add that to each bowl. Also, this makes a ton, I have 6 big servings to freeze. I share these with my dad, I am my parent's own version of Dream Dinners. Kinda. At least they say that jokingly. Ha!

Earlier I made a fudgelike candy from a recipe my neighbor shared. I had it at her house last week and it was divine. I will try to find the recipe online and share b/c it was so simple: chocolate candy bark coating, sweetened condensed milk, pecans and vanilla.

Once Olivia got home, she and I whipped up Rocky Road fudge which is absolutely to die for.

Rocky Road Fudge (Good Housekeeping, 2006)

1 pkg. (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1 pkg. (10.5 ounces) mini marshmallows

Grease 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan; line with plastic wrap. In 4 quart saucepan, combine chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter and margarine. Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or just until ingredients are melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Stir marshmallows into fudge mixture. Pour into lined pan; spread evenly. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate fudge until firm, at least 3 hours.
Invert fudge onto cutting board; remove plastic wrap. Turn fudge top side up. Cut fudge into 36 pieces. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

The guys at my husband's work particularly like this one.

And yesterday while reading blogs, I ran across this madness: Peppermint Bark like William Sonoma. So I bought all those ingredients too!

And this news will probably surprise no one but today while trying to hoist my jeans over my gut, one of the belt loops literally ripped off. It seems my waistline doesn't agree with all this cooking and eating as much as my tastebuds do. I have decided to just live it up until January 1, and then I will address the gut.


Pin It

No comments: