Sunday, January 11, 2009

how to: microwave play dough




I hear ya out there saying: I would MUCH rather just go buy play dough. I know that feeling...well. This is the second time in 5 years that the preschool has asked for homemade play dough. Apparently, back in September, I had a weak moment and signed up for January to be my month for such making. It took a phone call from another mom to remind me of this, and I procrastinated another full week, even though that kind woman brought me the recipe.
So here it is, Sunday morning and I decided to break it out so they have it for tomorrow before the month is more than half over. And guess what, it is EASY. I remember being impressed and amazed about 3 years ago too. But a microwave version? Even better. Despite what these pictures represent, I used blue food coloring. In real life it is more like turquoise. Here, you see aquamarine-ish.

Microwave Play Dough

Ingredients:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup salt
1.5 cups water
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
food coloring or pain

Bring 1.5 cups of water to a boil in the microwave (about 3 minutes). While water is boiling, combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a large bowl. When the water comes to a boil, remove and add food coloring. Pour all at once into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Allow to cool. Turn out onto counter and knead for about 5 minutes or until mixture is smooth. Place in plastic bag and seal.

So easy that I am thinking I should mix up another batch in a different color b/c this really isn't much for 15 kids. I do think one more mom is on the same assignment though. What would you do?
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

1 comment:

Janice said...

I love this recipe but do it a little differently, microwaving the whole mixture for a couple minutes. I just used the excuse of a playgroup farewell party to make a new batch the other day and it is so wonderfully soft and play-with-able! Oooh, and warm, too! Tactile heaven. My older kids (up to age 16) couldn't keep their hands off of it either. My advice: make MORE!